Sunday, June 23, 2013

I'm Feeling Wicked...Nail Polish Review [#2]

Hello viewers and fellow bloggers! It's been a crazy weekend, so sorry I haven't posted in a while.  I'm currently relaxing, eating white cheddar popcorn, and watching my boyfriend play Borderlands 2. I hope to get more post out this week. I have a few topics/reviews I've been wanting to write about and a post about this awesome weekend. Without further ado, here is my latest nail polish review. 

As you know, I've been writing reviews about these inexpensive nail polishes. I'm currently wearing Covergirl Outlast Glosstinis Appletini and Maybelline Color Show Twilight Rays. Also I got a chance to use my Mt. Moon by Rainbow Honey. Mt. Moon cost $10.00, which is on the high-end side, but Appletini and Twilight Rays only cost $2.99 each. Though Appletini is a smaller bottle (3.5 ml), it's still a great price.


Sorry for the blurry picture.
The color of Appletini really pops and only took 2 coats.  It's a very yellow-green color and slightly neon. Not many people like this color or don't think they can pull it off but it's a great base for any themed manicures or nail art.  The color actually grew on me as I wore it for the past week. Plus, it matched my phone case which I did by accident.

I use Twilight Rays for my ring finger. It's a nice black color with a fine gold glitter. It reminds me of New Year's Eve. It covers in about one coat, but I wanted the richness of the black, so I used two coats.  The glitter is very fine so you can only see it in certain lighting. When you look really close, you see the speckles sparkle. 

My manicure really reminded me of Wicked, the broadway musical about the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good from the Wizard of Oz.  It's one of my favorite musicals. So far, I've seen it twice and I'd go again if I could afford it.

I felt like I was Elphaba with my manicure, but I wanted a bit more sparkle. I decided to coat Appletini with Mt. Moon. I think it looks awesome with it. You see all these blues, purples, and pinks and chunks of silver glitter. It's very out of this world. (tee hee) This reminded me of how much Glinda touched Elphaba's heart and how their friendship and love for each other grew. (If you haven't seen Wicked, I highly recommend it.)

I topped it off with my Essie Good to Go.  I did not do a matte coat. I really wanted to keep the pop of color and sparkle of the glitter. My manicure has defied gravity (sorry for my bad puns) and has held up for the past week. Minor chips on the tips of my nails, but still very solid. 

Point is...

I'm very happy with the quality of this nail polish and I recommend it for it's price and color if you are looking for a fun summer color or a great party/holiday color. I hope you enjoyed my review and more to come! 

I forgot to ask! What do you think of the color and have you tried any of these nail polishes? Anyone else feeling the Wicked-ness? And any other colors you think are great?

6 comments:

  1. Haha I can see the Wicked connection! Also great to see Mt Moon in action, I'm planning a RH order for part 2 of the collection but I am feeling so swamped with all my orders coming in at the moment I just can't stomach it at the moment, even though I really want it... sigh. I bought a couple Color Shows lately and well you saw the first one, can't wait to test the other two out, they look awesome as well. This one is quite nice though I do have a similar black by Gosh except the flecks are silver not black.

    also, I LOVE WHITE CHEDDAR POPCORN. I want Smartfood popcorn so badly now! :(

    writingwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ate half the bag already :X So good but so bad when you eat too much of it. I can't wait to see your next Color Show review. I never heard of Gosh. I have to resist the urge to look them up. I've been getting a lot of orders in too. It's starting to be a little too much. They definitely fill my need for nail polish for a long time, but now I have to find time to take some pictures of my new acquired collection.

      Delete
    2. YES to pictures! I know exactly what you mean though, I am going to hold off buying polish hopefully for the next 2 months at least (except for a couple I have already listed as giving myself permission for). I just have too much and need to use my current collection some more :)

      Delete
  2. How's the smell on the Maybelline? I bought essie's "The More the Merrier" and it's very similar to Appletini. Also, how is the glitter on the Twilight Rays? I kind of like the gold shimmer. :) I was wondering about Mt. Moon's formula. Is it more gel-based or liquid? I have The Worst Possible Thing and mine seems to come out thicker than I want, but I wasn't sure if that was just because it was my bottle or that's just their formula in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't notice too much of a strong smell from Maybelline, but I had a fan on with the windows open. I've seen The More the Merrier and was going to buy it a while ago, but I have to stop buying nail polish right now. I have so much to show you. The glitter in Twilight Rays is very, very fine. It could use a coat of a gold glitter polish to bring out the shine more but I like the subtlety of it. My Mt. Moon is more liquid in my opinion. The glitter in Mt. Moon is finer than The Worst Possible Thing so that may account for the gel feel to it.

      Delete
    2. I also have The Worst Possible Thing and found it incredibly gel like. I actually haven't encountered this kind of formula in the last few collections and am pretty sure their formula is becoming more refined. The Equestria collection had a lot of thick polishes (albeit THEY'RE ALL SO DAMN PRETTY!) and I wasn't the biggest fan of their formulas but I can confirm the polishes from RH in the last while have been great! I haven't got my Mt. Moon but I am guessing it's close to Soul Gem.

      Delete