Monday, June 24, 2013

Weekend Fun: Irving Plaza

So this past weekend was super busy but so much fun! 

My weekend started on Friday. I got to take the day off from work because my boyfriend and I had tickets to see Say Anything at Irving Plaza. We slept in and enjoyed the day. We had a light lunch at The Argyle Grill & Tavern in Babylon Village. I got the Sesame Seared Tuna and my boyfriend got the Rustic Marinated Grilled Chicken Sandwich. Both were very delicious, so if you are ever in the area, I recommend going to The Argyle. Sorry I don't have a picture of our food. We were on a tight schedule to get to the train. After our meal, we headed for the train.


My boyfriend makes silly faces all the time. :3
We got to the city around 5 PM. We decided to eat again so we aren't hungry during the concert. We headed into K-town to our favorite restaurant, The Mandoo Bar. This would be our third time going to this restaurant. They have the most adorable and juicy dumplings. We usually get the Baby Mandoo, 16 tiny steamed pork dumplings.  


Look how little they are!
Also we ordered the Combo Mandoo, which was 4 of each type of dumpling they have; Pork, vegetarian, & seafood. I like the pork ones better.  Also they serve kimchi as an appetizer. I love going to Korean restaurants and using metal chopsticks. 


We were super hungry!
After we ate, we took the Subway to Irving Plaza. There were so many people waiting on line already. It wrapped around the block twice. We were so excited! We haven't seen Say Anything since The Paramount last year. Best part was one of my new favorite bands opened for them, Eisley! Anyway, there were four opening bands that night. I the Mighty, Northern Faces, HRVRD, and Eisley. 


I didn't really get into I the Mighty. They didn't exactly announce who they were or talk to the crowd as much. They also played their music while a video of clips and kaleidoscope effects played in front of them on a see-through sheet. The music was pretty good but I thought the video was distracting from the music and it was kind of funny when their Time Machine wanted to back-up during their performance so they had to fix that.  I listened to their songs online and I'm starting to get into them more.  They are more explosive rock with really amazing guitar riffs and powerful drums.


I The Mighty




Here is their Official Music Video for "Failures"

Also another great song, "These Streets Are Alive"


Northern Faces was second to play and I'm in loved with their music. Their music is a mix of blues and rock with deep bass rhythm and amazing vocals. Most of it was mellow and I really enjoyed it. I bought their EP too. 


Northern Faces


Here is their Official Music Video for "Under My Skin"

Check out their Facebook for more music.

Next HRVRD played, which is basically Harvard without the A's, as the lead singer explained. They were different. I'm not sure how to explain their music. It's very rhythmic, mellow and out there. The lead singer had this tiny keyboard synthesizer that sounded like recorder and a kazoo. You can hear it in the song below. His voice reminds me of the lead singer from Coheed & Cambria. It's definitely music I could see people listening too while they are "high". He ended up climbing up to the balcony in a weird mask. I do enjoy listening to their songs online but live was just a little too strange for me.


HRVRD




Here is their song, "Flaming Creatures"

Then Eisley went on. I love them! They are amazing. The band is made up of 4 siblings and 1 cousin or family friend. Their vocals and piano are amazing and I just love all the songs.  They just released their new album, Currents.  I love the art on the cover too. I'm debating on getting the fish as a tattoo. 
Eisley

Just take a listen to them:



Here is their song "Ambulance" from their last album.

Here is one of their new songs, "Blue Fish".

Say Anything came on after them. They were amazing. They are a mix of punk rock with fun, lyrical songs and memorable melodies. They've been playing since 2000. You just have to listen to them to understand.







Here is the Official Music Video of "Say Anything"
And here are my two instagram videos from the concert. Sorry for the poor quality.

Part of "Do Better" & Part of "Wow, I Can Get Sexual Too"

Side note: Sherri from Eisley and Max from Say Anything are married and they recently had a baby named Lucy. Here's a blurry picture of them all together on stage as a family. Lucy was wearing these gigantic noise-resistant headgear that matched her pink outfit. She was adorable! Also a picture of the cute couple singing together on stage.

Point is...

I had a blast and so did my boyfriend. We didn't get home till 1:30AM. And as we laid in bed, we dreaded the next morning when we had to be up at 6 AM. But I'll have to tell you all about that in another post. 
Let me know who is your favorite band and a favorite song of theirs. Also, have you heard of or listen to any of the bands mentioned above? What do you think of them all?

5 comments:

  1. Oh those dumplings look delicious! Making my gluten-free self quite jealous. I like Eisley too, I think I saw them in concert once as an opener maybe but it was years ago, should check out more of their new stuff but don't have time to listen to the videos right now. I haven't listened to any of other bands before (yet!)

    This sounds like an amazing time though! You and your boyfriend are adorable. That sucks you had to get up early the next day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if there is a way to make gluten-free dumplings...

    It was so much fun! Our next concert will be in September to see Panic! At The Disco and Fall Out Boy at the Barclay Center! I can't wait for it.

    Also it wasn't terrible to wake up the next day, just the driving was exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope there isn't a way to make the dumplings GF because if there was I would never stop eating them... *has gone through withdrawal*

      Also thinking of funny boyfriend photos, made me think of mine photo-bombing my polish swatches for Drops of Jade haha.

      That's awesome you have another show to look forward to! I really wanted to see Tegan and Sara but they are playing at the one time I'm away. I definitely need to take advantage of more live music now that I've moved to a city that has it :)

      Delete
    2. It was funny when your boyfriend photobombed your swatch. Mine just plays games while I'm blogging or taking pictures.

      There's something about seeing live music. There's this energy or pulse that resonates throughout the whole place. Even when you don't know anything about the band or never heard of them, you find yourself just enjoying it all and having fun. I hope Tegan and Sara play again soon in your area.

      Delete
  3. MMM I LOVE DUMPLINGS. (Of course, it comes with the whole being Asian thing, I guess, hehehe.) I also love boyfriend silly faces - they're never serious, but I guess that's why we love em. :D

    ReplyDelete