Monday, June 3, 2013

Nail Polish, Ahoy!

I love nail polish. I'm slightly addicted to nail polish. Okay, I have my moments were I'm just OBSESSED with nail polish. When I do find the time to do my nails, I love picking different combinations and trying different designs. I could literally spend half a day just doing my nails.  It's relaxing and makes me feel pretty

I didn't get into nail polish till after I graduated college. Being an art student and working with your hands didn't leave a lot of time for pretty nails, especially when you will chip them in a matter of seconds when you start working on something.

One of my lovely best friends got me really into it. She has so many bottles of nail polish that she had to get a spinning organizer to put them in and she still has more that won't fit into it. (This organizer holds 144 bottles, so you can imagine how many more she possibly has.) She has given me a few from her collection when she gets tired of the color and has bought me a few as gifts. Now that I follow her blog and her friend's blog (Thoughts at 1AM  & Eat. Play. Write.), I can't help but feel compelled to buy more nail polish. I have gotten rid of some older ones and some that are not 3-Free, so my collection is feeling a bit light.

What is "3-Free"?
3-Free stands for nail polish that has no Dibutyl Phthalate, Toulene, and Formaldehyde. Basically, these ingrediants are suppose to make your nail polish stronger, chip resistant, and easy to put on. But these chemicals can lead to some health issues with high exposure over a long period of time. Though it is not completely proven yet, I don't think you should have formaldehyde anywhere near you unless you are dead. 

Point is...
They are really exposing me to cool, glittery colors of some indie brands; some that are 3-Free. These colors make me daydream about where I'd be if I was wearing this color or what occasion I could wear that one for. It really makes me want to spend my money even though I'm trying to save up for my vacation in August with my boyfriend.  It's a balancing act and a lot of will power to hold off for now and save up more money first. And possibly ask for some for my birthday... ;)


www.ilnp.com • www.rainbowhoney.com • www.deborahlippmann.com

UPDATE

I recently bought OPI Warm & Fozzie from the Muppet Collection at CVS on a whim. I love the color of it. And I bought two Essies (I forgot the names right now) for $5.50 at Tri-County Flea Market. I think I got my fill of buying nail polish for now. :3

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad we showed you some cool indie brands! 1AM is definitely an ILNP girl, but we both dig the brand. RH is my all-time favorite, which is no secret. :) The only brand on here I tend to dislike is Deborah Lippmann, only because I don't think their formula is worth the price tag. They have pretty colors and the polish applies nicely, but mine chipped within a day, and I've tried four of them. Gah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wish Deborah Lippmann was cheaper. I found the quality to be good but I mostly have the glitter ones so I tend to dab a lot of layers to make them pop and last. I'm really interested in ILNP and RH. I hope to either win some in giveaways or ask for my birthday. So far, my current polish hasn't chipped yet :knock on wood: and it's been about a week. :3

      Delete
  2. Haha I love that you got your fill of nail polish buying with 3 polishes :) Sigh, I definitely day dream about buying nail polish. I haven't tried any of these brands but I am hoping to pick up some Rainbow Honey soon! (I can also thank Kylie for that)

    writingwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think I just placated myself until ILNP releases the new collection tonight and RH's new collection next week. I can't wait! I actually just bought RH's Mt. Moon. It's super pretty - http://www.rainbowhoney.com/products/mt-moon-15ml.

      Delete