Thursday, August 1, 2013

Neon - Nail Polish Review [#4]

Happy August! 

Just got through a big event at work and though we have more upcoming events that we have to plan and prepare for, I'm just super excited for the end of this month. I will be leaving for Vermont on August 24. I can't wait! :3

Anyway, I recently went to Target and I couldn't help but check out their Essie nail polish.  They had a few of the collections display and this one nail polish caught my eye. Bouncer, It's Me from their 2013 Neon Collection.


It's recommended to use a white base coat under their neon colors. I have Essie's Poppy-Razzi Neon Collection from last year. I have used a base of Essie's Blanc with them and without. I preferred it without the white base because it was time consuming and heavy feeling to paint a white base and then the neon plus a top coat. Also, it still looked neon without the white.

I figured I'd try and review Bouncer, It's Me with and without a white base coat to see what it looks like. The nail polish is very translucent. I put two coats of Blanc and two coats of Bouncer, It's Me on my left hand. I did a base coat and three coats of Bouncer, It's Me on my right hand. 

Do you see the difference?

Please don't mind the messy fingers. Didn't get a chance to them up.


It dries quickly and in a matte coat. My right hand is more of a deep, dark blue. My left hand had some streakiness. I could have done three coats but I was lazy and didn't bother. I like both version of them.  I put on a top coat of Essie's Good To Go. My left hand really pops in natural lighting but with the flash, both hands look the same.

With the flash on. They look very similar with only a subtle difference in hue.

At my office. You can see how the white base makes my left hand nails this bright blue.

After about a week, they've all chipped and cracked under the top coat. And I'm ready for the next manicure.

Point is...
If you use any of Essie's Neon Collection and have more patience than me, the white base coat really does bring out the bright color in the nail polish. Lighter neon colors can work well without a white base, but I'd stick to the white base with the darker neon colors. 

Happy Polishing!

3 comments:

  1. I like that it still looks good without the base because white bases are a pain, but you can get a different look if you use them. I will say I hate the satiny neon finish but luckily a top coat really glosses it up!

    I still want the purple from this collection...

    writingwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJ Play That Song is gorgeous! It's such a nice fuchsia color and it's bright enough that it'd look great by itself.

      Delete
  2. I think you can totally work this shade without the white base coat. Obviously it's nice for the extra vibrance but honestly, I don't think it's worth it. The more polish you put on, the more prone it is to chipping and wear I find. It looks great without!

    ReplyDelete